travelnews: Be sure to keep rental car account numbers secured

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Fri Jan 4 14:02:15 PST 2013

Good Afternoon Travel Coordinators - Here is an important reminder from our partners at OUS:

"I hope you had a wonderful holiday season.   I am sending out a reminder notice concerning the security of Hertz and Enterprise/National account numbers, direct bill numbers and booking links.   Recently, a public entity has fraudulent activity against one of their vehicle rental direct bill accounts because the number was mistakenly made public on a website.  Please ensure that all of your account numbers, direct billing accounts or booking links are secure from public view.  The direct bill account number and any booking link tied to your direct bill account should be treated like a credit card number and not posted on any website.  And even though the corporate ID is not tied to a direct bill account, since there are insurance provisions tied to the account numbers, they should be kept secure also to prevent unauthorized use.

Please take the time now to review all posted documentation on websites (either intra or internet) and remove any account numbers, direct bill numbers or any booking links that are tied to a direct bill or account number.

If you discover any public posting of this information, please notify your Hertz and Enterprise account representative immediately to verify if any fraud has occurred. "

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

Laurie Jacoby, CTC
Travel Manager
Business Affairs Office