[OLAC-credits] Non-catalogers, non-librarians and credit annotations

Kelley McGrath kelleym at uoregon.edu
Sun Jan 12 11:35:44 PST 2014

My hope for the web form is that it will be usable by interested non-librarians. When we were developing the form, I had a couple of my non-library friends test it out. They suggested some improvements and did not seem to experience any major obstacles in using it.

Greta has a good point that catalogers are prone to certain kinds of errors or frustrations because of trying to fit the form into their existing worldview instead of just doing what the instructions ask for. On the other hand, I think some of the credits are probably impenetrable if you aren't a cataloger and don't understand ISBD punctuation and where the data is coming from. Something like this just looks bizarre and I don't know what the average person would make of it:
autor und Regisseur, Viktor Turin. Dzhim shvantė : solʹ svanetiĭ = Salt for Svanetia / [Goskinprom
Lizzie: I think it would be great if you want to try to recruit some of your non-cataloger friends, especially if they have language expertise. You are all welcome to publicize the project or share it with your friends as you like.

Kelley