di: ESL student with ASD

Christopher Duss duss.christopher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:51:42 PDT 2023

Dear List,

I have a 4 year old student with no official diagnosis but who displays
behavior in line with the description of children with autism - delayed
language development, frequent tantrums, restricted areas of interest etc.
Our school is not set up to deliver a program like the Low Performers
Manual, but I would like to do better for him in the 30 minutes one-on-one
lesson I have with him weekly. Currently, I follow his interest in colors
and numbers - he can count to above 100 - but this leaves a significant
deficit in other vocabulary and communication. I tried Funnix Math but this
was predictably too advanced, and he mainly wanted to play with the
buttons.

I know I have an uphill struggle as I have let him control lessons for many
weeks now, but if members of the list have recommendations for how to turn
things around I am all ears.

Also, if you have recommendations for reading on the subject of autism
please let me know. I am looking at *Unmasking Autism* by Devon Price, *Ten
Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew* by Ellen Notbohm, and *The
Way I See It *by Temple Grandin in case anyone has experience with these.

Thanks for your insight,
Chris