di: "My Child Will Read" web site: alerting parents about "Teach Your Child ..."

Joe Kuhn joemkuhn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:31:44 PDT 2022

Love your site Dave.  I was a kid who failed to learn to read on schedule.
After my first grade mid year report card, my dad showed me how to sound
out words - it's easy (as long as you know the sounds dad).  Well I did
learn my sounds by listening in class and learned to read and eventually
came across Zig's method of teaching at the U of I as an undergraduate
student.  It meant so much to me... (lots more history at U of O skipped
here)...I ended up as a self taught computer programmer and did teach both
my kids to read before 1st grade.  I've promoted 100 Easy Lessons as well
and have 2 copies yet to be distributed for free sitting right here on my
desk.  If you know of anyone who could benefit, I'll mail them out free of
charge.

One other thing.  My neighbor's son was a very late talker and I was able
to help them get him going with some very basic principles like lots of
modelling and making it fun with toys involving speech.  One toy that comes
to mind is the dial up the animal game that will give the animal's sound
when you pull the string.  This little boy loved the game and got very good
at predicting what sound he was about to hear based on which animal the
dial was pointing to.  The boy's mother is a doctor and she cried on my
wife's shoulder when she realized her son should be talking at 3 years of
age, but was mute.  Now he doesn't stop talking.  What a difference the
right stuff makes.

You deserve a lot of credit promoting what works.  If there's anything I
can do to help, let me know.

Joe Kuhn
Master's Degree - Curriculum and Design, U of O.