di: "My Child Will Read" web site: alerting parents about "Teach Your Child ..."

Dave Ziffer daveziffer at projectpro.com
Fri Jul 1 03:46:31 PDT 2022

*Dear DI List*: My name is Dave Ziffer. I was one of the parent warriors
in the "reading wars" of the 1990s. I was introduced to the DI curricula
and to this list by Mary Damer
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/mary-damer-a2714611/>, who you probably
know much better than you do me. Both of us lived in Illinois at the
time and we were both activists and contributors to the Illinois-based
group "Illinois Loop <http://www.illinoisloop.org/>".

I'm writing to alert you to the existence of a web site I produced in
late 2020: My Child Will Read <http://mychildwillread.org/>.

The purpose of the site is to alert parents to the idea that they should
teach their own children how to read using "Teach Your Child To Read In
100 Easy Lessons" rather than waiting for their children's schools to
fail them. Since most parents have no idea what's going on, most of the
site is dedicated to alerting them to the problem. The five primary
pages are:

  * Home <http://mychildwillread.org/>: the odds are against your child
  * The Problem <http://mychildwillread.org/the-problem.shtml>: 80 years
    of reading instruction failure in the public schools
  * How Reading Works
    <http://mychildwillread.org/how-reading-works.shtml>: hieroglyphic
    vs. alphabetic written languages
  * Dyslexia <http://mychildwillread.org/dyslexia.shtml>: the "disease"
    that even the medical community can't seem to pin down
  * Teach Your Child
    <http://mychildwillread.org/teach-your-child.shtml>: how to save
    your own children (no school board approval needed!)

Please feel free to provide constructive criticism, to use the site for
your own purposes, and/or promote the site if you feel it is worthwhile.
Thanks!

Dave Ziffer
daveziffer at projectpro.com