di: Reading Mastery 3 vs. Corrective Reading B1

M Ripke michael.ripke at gmail.com
Wed May 6 18:30:52 PDT 2020

As an elementary school teacher, I was teaching both both programs this
year RM 3 Signature to a group and B-1 to a student. Been doing ZOOM
sessions too. To your questions: Is there any way at all that I could teach
both boys or should I just concentrate on the lower learner? Two, do you
recommend going with the Reading Mastery 3 or Corrective Reading. Guess
it's how much time you are willing to commit to delivering and what
program(s) to one or both boys? With RM 3 you have vocabulary development
exercises, the stories are *long in length* with a mix of expository
information presented at the beginning of a lesson for the kids to answer
later on for textbook/workbook questions. Then there is the spelling
component the end of each lesson. With B-1 word attack skills, kids get
more practice learning letter sound combinations and irregular words for
the stories in B-1. The stories are shorter too. If the pacing is brisk,
kids are taught to mastery, you can get a lesson done in B-1, do the
points, and start next lesson within an hour. Then there is the program you
use for one or both students. Have done the placement test for Decoding. I
had the luxury teaching this B-1 student twice a day. At the beginning
of the school year started RM 1 with him, then transitioned to B-1 after
X-mas while he was in the RM 3 group. Didn't penalize the RM 3 group as
much for his word errors til later on. Gave him more individual turns. He
was motivated to do well and his comprehension was pretty accurate when
given individual questions in the RM 3 group and his workbook/textbook
answers; same in B-1. Not sure what to say about concentrating on just one
learner or to teach two programs. With Decoding B-1 and B-2 could give them
the mastery test for every 10 lessons and see if there is a middle ground
for the lower learner to start with other student. Also consider letting
them start together in the same program if you want to do a group lesson.
Long as they are making gains, it's not penalizing the higher learner for
the program they're in, and it accomplishes what you want them to achieve
over the summer I don't think there is a wrong or right. Good luck.