di: Fwd: DI and multi-sensory methods?

Kerry Hempenstall kerry.hempenstall at rmit.edu.au
Mon Sep 24 18:51:53 PDT 2018

Unfortunately, Diane, it appears to remain in something of a research
backwater, which is odd when the *multisensory* term seems welded to
*systematic
synthetic phonics instruction*. I've seen numerous articles in which the
*multisensory* tag is attached without any comment on what it might add. It
appears to have gained acceptance via association rather than because it
has independent research support. So, I haven't found much research, even
recently, that separates the *multisensory* from the unadorned *systematic
synthetic phonics instruction. *Even the couple of studies that have
attempted to prise the notions apart have been unconvincing - having design
faults. All this is not necessarily to say that it can not be helpful, just
that it has not been proven to do so.

My file is attached.