di: Fwd: DI and multi-sensory methods?

ROBERT bhullinghorst at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 19:33:44 PDT 2018

Dear Diane:

For some reason, I can find nobody in neuroplasticity who references Zig's research behind Direct Instruction.However, there are several educational programs supposedly using techniques that are based on neuroplasticity research.Two are Barbara Arrowsmith's program in Canada and a computer based program called Fast Forward.Both seem successful, and both sound very similar to the techniques and principles of DI.Here is a general discussion, but you can easily find more information about each online.

(http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/content/download/81162/664344/file/Eden%20Chapman%20-%20neuroplasticity%20-%20sabbatical%20report%202017.pdf).

Sorry for the long link.

If I were not retired, I would make it a project to get the neuroplasticity folks together with the DI folks and see what happens.

Here is my take on what is happening in the brain of a child (probably anyone from birth up to the age when the brain becomes less plastic--say 25?).This is just speculation, based on my reading broadly, but there is some good science buried in it.

1.The Hippocampus is producing lots of t-cells (a process called auto-genesis) that are becoming differentiated into specialized neurons in the cortex.(Auto-Genesis can extend into old age, but the rate seems slower and much of the cortex is already specialized.)

2.If these t-cells, and especially their mitochondria, are properly nourished with a lot of specialized nutrients (especially Omega3 but many others too numerous to mention), then the neurons will specialize into structures in response to the environment based on the senses, including those in the muscles.Call this "education."

3.It has been proven (especially in animal models, mice to chimps and some human brain studies) that "education" influences this specialization.Focused attention and repetition have been proven to be critical to influence specialization of neurons and even relative growth of parts of the brain.

4.Excessive stress and anxiety (from poverty, domestic violence, bullying) and poor nutrition have been proven to interfere with the health of mitochondria, the auto-genesis of T-cells, and the specialization of neurons.(Of course, can an excessively competitive school environment contribute?)

5.Brain malfunctions or diseases (like viral encephalitis and other illnesses) can also interfere with needed specialization, but there is evidence that many neuroplasticity treatments can reduce or reverse the impact of these issues.For example, there is exciting research on direct energy application to the tongue to treat some deficiencies. Again, see the two books by Norman Doige that I mentioned before--easily available from Amazon.It may well be that DI is a neuroplasticity treatment for brain malfunctions, but the two disciplines have not coalesced.

6.Given the research on neuroplasticity and the research on DI, it seems undoubtable that DI techniques are superior in helping student brains to develop productive neural specialization at a time when their t-cells are developing normally in the cortex.

7.In my opinion, if the educational institution was not such a cesspool of administrative inefficiency, we would have made much more progress.

At least that is the result of my rather limited reading and research, as well as my experience in public policy, and my biases.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Bob Hullinghorst
Boulder, CO