di: Reading Mastery 2nd-5th grade 90 minute instructional pacing guide?-Author answers

Bryan Wickman bwickman at nifdi.org
Wed Dec 5 10:40:57 PST 2018

Listmates,

I reached out to Steve Osborn, one of the level 4 and 5 authors. Below are his responses [[  ]] to Sarah’s questions.
Bryan,

See my responses below.

On 12/4/18, 9:35 AM, "Sarah Zahradnik" <di-bounces at lists.uoregon.edu on behalf of szahradnik at claytonridge.k12.ia.us> wrote:

   I am seeking advice on the pacing of instruction during the 90 minute block for Reading Mastery 2nd-5th grade lessons.
   Within a 90 minute instructional block for Reading Mastery 2nd-5th grade,
   -What is the expected amount of independent time for students to complete their workbook page and book questions?

[[30 minutes]]

   -Is there a guideline to the schedule within a 90 minute block for expect time to teach the presentation lesson (vocabulary/reading of story), independent work time (workbook page and book questions, writing assignments 4th/5th RM), and whole class corrections of independent work?

[[Word lists and vocabulary - 15 min
Oral reading - 10 min
Silent reading - 10 min
Paired Practice - 10 min
Independent Work - 30 min
Workcheck - 15 min]]

   -Is it expected students to complete the writing assignment each time during the instructional period for 4th and 5th?

[[Some writing assignments may require extra time, particularly new Common Core assignments that involve outside research.]]

   -If there are any 2nd-5th grade teachers that would share number of students within a section they teach and a schedule broken down of the use of 90 minutes I would greatly appreciate it.

[[Bryan - I can’t answer this last question. Maybe you know of such a teacher.]]

Steve

Bryan Wickman,
Outreach Coordinator
541.485.1973

Have you seen our series of video in-services? The current library includes Correcting Discrimination Errors, Critical Phrasing, How to Correct Signal Violations, and Implementing Thermometer Charts. For more information, go to https://www.nifdi.org/store/category/19-training-materials.

    I have attached 2 documents. They are pages from the RMSE 2 and RMSE 3 teachers guides that cover time requirements for the program. Curiously, information of this type does not exist in the current version of the grades 4 and 5 guides. I will do some digging and try to get you answers to the rest of your questions.

    Bryan

[...]

        Thank you,

        Sarah Zahradnik
        szahradnik at claytonridge.k12.ia.us