[Cas-allemps] Important Academic Advising Update

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Fri Jul 21 16:35:33 PDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We write with an organizational update that impacts academic advising at the UO. Since 2019, Undergraduate Education and Student Success (UESS), the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), and the University Career Center have worked collaboratively to launch the largest academic and career advising operation on campus. This endeavor was historic for the UO, providing an influx of support for students. Throughout this process, we have also developed new practices and adapted our structures when needed, always with the goal of providing the best possible services to our students.

This past academic year, advising support for exploring students was transitioned from Tykeson College and Career Advising (TCCA) to the Office of Academic Advising (OAA), allowing TCCA to focus solely on advising students pursuing degrees in CAS. Beginning this summer, the TCCA advising office will be reorganized around CAS academic programs, instead of Flight Paths. This clarity of mission allows TCCA to focus on strengthening collaborations with CAS departments and faculty in building effective systems of support for CAS students.

Over the last few months, through thoughtful considerations around integrated systems of support for CAS students, we have identified a need for a more focused organizational structure.

To continue our commitment to integrating student support systems and providing seamless student experiences, the organizational home for TCCA will transition to CAS from UESS, effective September 11, 2023. In the new structure, TCCA will report to the CAS Associate Dean for Student Success. CAS will continue to champion providing coordinated support for CAS students and fostering even closer connections and partnerships between advising and CAS departments.

UESS will continue to serve as the institutional leader and coordinator for advising, working in close partnership with advising units in CAS and the UO’s other schools, colleges, and programs. A unified, strategic, and collaborative approach to advising across campus is critical to helping students navigate our systems and to connecting them with the resources they need.

Between now and September 11, both of our divisions will work closely with the TCCA team to ensure a smooth transition for advisors and students.

We express our deep appreciation to the TCCA team for their outstanding efforts in facilitating student success and building a comprehensive academic and career advising center. We’d like to thank Jesse Nelson for his wise and compassionate leadership, and we look forward to seeing the innovation and student impact that will come from greater alignment and integration between the outstanding TCCA advising team and CAS partners.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Johnson
Vice-Provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Success

Chris Poulsen
Tykeson Dean of Arts and Sciences