[Cas-allemps] CAS Diversity Grants Call for Proposals

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 29 13:07:17 PST 2023

Dear CAS Community,

As part of our response to the climate survey results, we are pleased to announce a reimagined version of the CAS Diversity Grants. These awards will support projects that align with values central to the CAS mission: diversity, equity and inclusion. The goal of this program is to support work that builds community and belonging, improves climate, addresses challenges relating to recruitment and retention, and otherwise operationalizes or enhances efforts in inclusive excellence.

We welcome proposals from CAS faculty, staff, and/or students. Successful proposals will identify specific challenges and goals for solving them. We are especially interested in projects that have clear, measurable outcomes. The requested budget should be commensurate with the impact of the project outcomes.

Funds will be available beginning winter quarter 2024 and may be used over a two-year period. The total amount available is up to $100,000 to be distributed among all awarded proposals. Applications can be submitted at any time and priority review will begin on January 8, 2024.

Cross-unit collaborations in CAS are welcome. Cost sharing is expected for cross-college proposals. Please note that funded projects will require a final report following completion of the proposed activities.

Lastly, the CAS effort and the matching grants program led by the Division of Equity and Inclusion recently announced by President Scholz are meant to be complementary.

CAS Diversity Grants Application process:

1.    Individuals or teams should submit a one-page project description. The description should explain the challenge and provide supporting data to motivate the need if possible. The project description should also include an articulation of the proposed activity as well as a description of the potential outcomes and impacts. A separate, brief budget is also required to explain how the funds will be used.

2.    Following the submission, project leads will have a brief conversation with associate dean for diversity, equity, and inclusion Nadia Singh about the proposed activities.

3.    Individuals or teams will have the opportunity to modify and resubmit their project descriptions and budgets after consultations with Nadia Singh.

Funding decisions will be made by the associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion in consultation with the CAS Dean’s Cabinet.

Please see the FAQs below for more information. Application materials can be submitted electronically to addei at uoregon.edu<mailto:addei at uoregon.edu>. Prospective applicants are encouraged to reach out to Nadia Singh (addei at uoregon.edu<mailto:addei at uoregon.edu>) in advance of submission with any questions.

We are excited about this new funding model and look forward to your proposals.

Sincerely,

Chris and Nadia

Chris J. Poulsen
Tykeson Dean of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Earth Sciences
College of Arts and Sciences | University of Oregon
1030 E. 13th Avenue | Eugene, OR | 97403<https://www.bing.com/search?q=1030%20E.%2013th%20Avenue%20|%20Eugene,%20OR%20|%2097403>
Pronouns: he/his​

Nadia D. Singh
Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, College of Arts and Sciences
Richard A. Bray Faculty Fellow
Professor of Biology
University of Oregon

Frequently asked questions

  1.  Who is eligible to apply for these awards? Any faculty, staff, or graduate student in CAS is eligible to apply. Individuals, groups, and units may apply.

  1.  Can I use these funds to collect data to identify barriers? No. These funds are not for research purposes. The awards are for interventions to improve climate and enhance inclusive excellence.

  1.  What kinds of projects can these awards support? Examples of activities include but are not limited to trainings, workshops, symposia, events, recruitment activities, retention activities, and outreach.

  1.  Are there any restrictions on budget items? Most university approved expenses are allowed. Course and academic year buyouts are not permitted.

  1.  Do I need a letter of support from my supervisor? Not necessarily. However, if the scale of the work has the potential to interfere with your responsibilities, then we may ask for a statement of support from your supervisor.