[Cas-allemps] Thinking About CAS: Tykeson Hall, New Faculty Profiles, and Languages

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 6 15:35:12 PST 2019

Dear CAS Colleagues,

In this week's Thinking about CAS blog, we take a behind-the scenes look at the design decisions behind the spacious, open, collaborative ambience of Tykeson Hall and answer the question: What Do We Mean When We Say "Designed for Student Success?"<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2019/11/tykeson-hall-what-do-we-mean-by-designed-for-student-success/>  We also continue our series of profiles of new faculty members: Sergio Loza<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2019/10/new-faculty-profile-sergio-loza-assistant-professor-romance-languages/>, Romance Languages; Davina Mattox<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2019/10/new-faculty-profile-davina-mattox-instructor-romance-languages/>, Romance Languages; and  Ken-ichi Noma<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2019/10/new-faculty-profile-ken-ichi-noma-professor-biology-institute-of-molecular-biology/>,  Biology/Institute of Molecular Biology. We are excited to welcome our new colleagues!

Also, we want to announce a correction to our October 16, 2019 blog post on language study at UO<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2019/10/leadership-in-languages/>. Thanks to Melanie Williams, Senior Instructor II of French and Head Undergraduate Advisor in Romance Languages, for pointing out that we have many more than 200 language majors at UO. The article counted "degrees conferred," and we mistook that for "number of majors" in our post; and this has since been corrected.

We were delighted to see a number of comments on this post that pointed out some of the languages we offer at UO that were not part of the Chronicle study, like Ichishkíin and Old English. Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, Arabic, Greek, Russian, German, and Swedish, discussed in the article, are only some of the many languages offered on campus.  See the Languages at UO website<https://languages.uoregon.edu/> and the homepage for the American English Institute<https://aei.uoregon.edu/> to learn more.

All the best,

Bruce

Bruce Blonigen
Tykeson Dean