[Cas-allemps] Nominations for task force to analyze the structure of CAS

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Thu Nov 1 10:39:59 PDT 2018

Sent on behalf of Provost Jayanth Banavar

November 1, 2018

Dear College of Arts and Sciences Colleagues,

I hope this note finds you well. Our administration continues to work with Karen Ford, CAS senior divisional dean, to determine the membership of the task force that will soon begin analyzing the structure of the college.

Yesterday, the Senate submitted the names of two tenure-track faculty members chosen by acclamation, and I'm grateful for their suggestions. The deadline for all of campus to nominate faculty or staff from CAS is Friday, November 2, and I write to encourage you to get me the names of those who you feel might be good to serve on the task force.

By Friday, November 9, we hope to finalize the membership of the task force and move forward on the important work of the future of CAS.

This is a critically important endeavor we are embarking on. The charge of the task force is straightforward. Members will be asked to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of: (i) the current structure (combining the three divisions of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences), (ii) a split of CAS into two colleges (Humanities/Social Sciences and Natural Sciences), and (iii) a split of CAS into three separate colleges (one for each division).

There will be much to debate, and I am eager to hear what the task force discusses. Once the task force starts its work, I will be providing regular updates to the campus community. The meetings will be open to the public.

Please send me an email with your thoughts on potential members for the task force to feedback at uoregon.edu<mailto:feedback at uoregon.edu>. You can also link to more information about the task force's charge<https://provost.uoregon.edu/task-force-structure-college-arts-and-sciences> on the website for the Office of the Provost.

Sincerely,

Jayanth Banavar

Provost and Senior Vice President