[Cas-allemps] DREAMer Ally Training April 18 - RSVP required

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 21 09:30:09 PDT 2018

Dear CAS Faculty and Staff,

Like many of you, I have spent the past year wondering how I can best support students from immigrant families in our current political climate. To this end, I have invited the UO DREAMers Working Group (https://blogs.uoregon.edu/dreamers/) to offer a DREAMer Ally Training specifically for CAS faculty and staff. The first three campus-wide trainings filled up quickly and no further campus-wide trainings are planned during this academic year, so this is an excellent opportunity to increase our capacity in CAS to support these students to the best of our collective abilities. The training is equally useful for faculty, staff, and advisors - anyone at all who interfaces with our students. I encourage supervisors to give interested staff permission to spend their morning at this training.

The training will run from 8:45 am -12:45 pm including catered lunch on Wednesday, April 18. The first hour of the training, a basic informational session about legal issues affecting our students, will take place during our regularly scheduled department heads and managers meeting. Heads and managers are welcome to stay for the rest of the training as well. Anyone who completes the full training will have the opportunity to sign a pledge of confidentiality and support, receive a decal and pin designating them official "Dreamer Allies," and be listed as allies on the UO Dreamer website. We are sorry that other than heads and department managers, we are unable to accommodate part-day attendance. If you wish to become a DREAMer Ally but are unable to attend the entire four-hour training on April 18, keep an eye on the UO Dreamers blog above for training dates in 2018-19.

Please RSVP by April 6th to register: 4/18 Training RSVP<https://oregon.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3laJQ2xv9OidwEZ>
Other trainings have filled quickly; we will go to a wait-list once available spots are filled.

About the DREAMer Ally Training:

Since 2013, the state of Oregon has allowed undocumented immigrant students with established Oregon roots to pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. The number of such students at UO is growing, as are the challenges these students face in the current political climate. Ensuring their safety and success is a core part of our academic mission.

*         Ally Training participants will:

-         Explore the unique challenges facing students at the University of Oregon whose immigrant legal status is precarious or unresolved, or who fear for immediate family members in such a status
-         Review the basic laws and policies affecting these students
-         Learn about appropriate referral resources
-         Learn what you should do if immigration enforcement come to campus
-         Receive guidance on how to effectively support Dreamers and identify one or more positive changes that you and your unit can start working on right now
-         After completing the entire four-hour training, participants have the opportunity to sign a pledge of confidentiality and support, and receive a decal and pin designating them official "Dreamer Allies"

Sincerely,
Andrew

W. Andrew Marcus
Tykeson Dean of Arts and Sciences