[Andalusi Studies] Cult of 'Tree of Colors'? Shajarat al-alwaan?

jbellver josepbellver at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:41:54 PST 2016

Dear David,

The expression ' shajarat al-alwān ' sounds very odd. Is it possible that
the copyist forgot the upper stroke of a kāf and thus ' shajarat al-akwān '
was meant instead? The 'tree of created beings' (shajarat al-akwān) is not
that unusual and, although it is not negative in itself, the author might
be stressing the Muslim ban of swearing by anything or anyone other than
God. This is simply a guess.

Kind regards,
José