travelnews: Avoid Extra Cost for Refundable Airline Tickets

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 30 13:13:20 PDT 2021

UO Travelers and Delegates:

Please be aware that airlines have started promoting refundable coach fares that are $100-$150 more than a regular coach fare.  You will see these on the Concur booking tool.  These fares are not the best business decision for UO travelers for several reasons:

  *   Airlines are not currently charging change fees on tickets.
  *   Cancelled tickets can be used for credit for future flights for the full amount of the ticket for up to a year from the date of purchase.
  *   UO travel policy says travelers are to choose the most cost-effective, efficient travel that meets the business purpose.

With our UO managed travel program, we work in tandem with our Travel Management Companies (TMCs) and our airline partners to provide flexibility for our UO business travelers.   The additional cost of a refundable ticket is not necessary for UO travelers and appears to be a means to generate additional airline income after recent industry losses.

Kind Regards,

[cid:image001.png at 01D79D7C.BEFEE3C0]
Laurie Jacoby
Travel Manager
Business Affairs Office
University of Oregon
lajacoby at uoregon.edu<mailto:lajacoby at uoregon.edu>
541-346-3158

Travel Office/Concur Help Desk:     Phone:  6-3100 ***  Email:  travel at uoregon.edu<mailto:travel at uoregon.edu>

Reminder:  Concur Request is required for all UO business travel

**  If your travel involves human subjects research, please do not disclose any information that is protected under UO Policy and other Regulations http://rcs.uoregon.edu/content/regulations-and-uo-policy