travelnews: Managing UO unused and cancelled airline tickets

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 14 15:13:21 PST 2021

Good Afternoon UO travel delegates and travelers:

The UO Travel Office has been working with our contracted airline partners to refund or credit the 1100+ canceled/used tickets on our books since the COVID travel suspension last spring. Our airline partners (Alaska, American, Delta and United) have refunded a few tickets.  These either have or will appear as a Lodge Card refund posted to the traveler's Concur profile to be processed on a Concur Expense Report.

List of tickets that were not initially refunded have been submitted to each airline for audit to qualify for credit to a pre-paid card (UATP card) to be used for future UO business travel.  Each airline has their own set of rules as to what qualifies a ticket including purchase date, cancel date and dates of travel. If you have a qualifying ticket, the Travel Office will process air ticket credits back to the traveler index as indicated on the initial purchase.

Every airline continues to change their policies regarding cancelled airline tickets.  It is always advised to take a refund if it is offered by the airline, rather than allow the airline to hold UO funds.  Tickets that do not qualify for a credit but which can still be used for an exchange for new business travel continue to receive extensions to expiration dates.  Be sure to check with your TMC for the latest rules.

The UO Cancelled/Unused ticket list is updated the first week of each month and is posted on the UO travel website under Travel Resources:  https://ba.uoregon.edu/travel/travel-resources We recommend that department travel delegates and travelers regularly monitor their list of cancelled tickets.  Contact the Travel Office with any questions or discrepancies.

All tickets that did not qualify for the UATP credit program are potentially available for exchange with the TMC once UO travel resumes.   Our four contracted carriers agreed to provide free name changes for tickets exchanged through our TMCs. For proper UO accounting and billing, please do not contact the airlines directly for a new reservation/exchange.

Alert:  United Air is sending emails to travelers indicating qualifying ticket "refunds".  This is not correct - they are not refunding tickets.  They are loading a UATP card with ticket values to be used for future UO business travel.  The UO Travel Office will be processing a credit to the traveler's index.  We expect due to the volume of tickets, that this process will be completed by the end of March.  An email confirmation with journal voucher details will be sent once a credit is processed.

[cid:image001.png at 01D6E8C4.180D30C0]

Laurie Jacoby
Travel Manager
Business Affairs Office
University of Oregon
lajacoby at uoregon.edu<mailto:lajacoby at uoregon.edu>
541-346-3158

**  If your travel involves human subjects research, please do not disclose any information that is protected under UO Policy and other Regulations http://rcs.uoregon.edu/content/regulations-and-uo-policy

Travel Office/Concur Help Desk:     Phone:  6-3100 ***  Email:  travel at uoregon.edu<mailto:travel at uoregon.edu>