payroll: FW: [AALList] Update: Paid Family and Medical Leave Implementation

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 14 13:59:02 PDT 2023

From: aallist-bounces at lists.uoregon.edu <aallist-bounces at lists.uoregon.edu> On Behalf Of Chief Human Resources Officer
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2023 1:54 PM
To: aallist at lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: [AALList] Update: Paid Family and Medical Leave Implementation

Dear colleagues,

As shared in previous messages<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/uoregon-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/sandeeb_uoregon_edu/EiovaxnwwYlHjAsfd9bgSS0BY-xPy6aSs6QZDp2NQibpWw?e=4Pir2n__;!!C5qS4YX3!BxwCkxVD52J5rAk6wGHNI0n5TA-liZBTRdz9ebyOJFQZ9VBxHIrEhnBLD2Iqr5GATRucxl--RoxXE2U$>, Paid Leave Oregon, a new program required by the State of Oregon, is set to begin on September 3, 2023. All full-time and part-time employees, including research and instructional faculty, officers of administration, classified employees, graduate employees, and student employees are covered by the program. The University of Oregon's program, called Oregon Paid Family and Medical Leave, will be administered by The Standard.

An update on the UO program will be emailed to employees later today with important information regarding the start of this program. Please help inform employees by emphasizing and reinforcing the following key points at upcoming staff meetings or within any planned all-staff communications, especially for those employees who don't regularly check their email or have access to a computer:

  *   Contributions will begin in September of 2023.
Employees will see their first payroll deduction for this program on their September 30 paycheck.

The contribution rate matches the state plan as a percentage of wages and is set at 1 percent for 2023 up to a maximum<https://hr.uoregon.edu/paid-family-and-medical-leave#contribution-max>. The rate is jointly funded by the employee and the university. The employee pays 60 percent of the tax and the UO pays 40 percent on their behalf. For example, if an employee's gross pay totals $1,000 dollars, then the tax is 1 percent of the $1,000, which means the employee pays $6, or 60 percent of the tax rate, and the UO pays $4, or 40 percent.

  *   Benefits become available for qualifying events on September 3, 2023, and The Standard, our contracted provider, will be the first point of contact for claims processing.
Employees may initiate the claims process now for qualifying absences that will occur September 3 or after. They should contact The Standard directly to initiate a claim. Once eligibility and qualifying claims status are confirmed, The Standard will notify the UO Benefits Office for further processing. Instructions are provided on the HR website<https://hr.uoregon.edu/paid-family-and-medical-leave#claims>.

As a reminder, The Standard is our disability insurance provider with experience managing similar plans. They are well positioned to provide accurate and timely service and claims processing support for our employees.

  *   We will work together to implement a new program with new systems and processes.
Human Resources has been working with The Standard and the Payroll Office over the summer on the implementation of this new program. We believe we have prepared for anything that may arise but as with any new program we are also prepared to quickly address any unanticipated matters in partnership with the campus community.
The Oregon Paid Family and Medical Leave webpage on the HR website<https://hr.uoregon.edu/paid-family-and-medical-leave> continues to be the most up-to-date source of information. It has been updated to include new frequently asked questions<https://hr.uoregon.edu/paid-family-and-medical-leave#contribution-rate#FAQ>. Please direct employees to this resource for more information.

Your continued support with the implementation of this program is greatly appreciated. Any assistance you can provide to increase awareness among the supervisors and employees within your division will be very helpful.

Best regards,

Mark Schmelz
Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer