payroll: The PayNews Monthly - November 2019 Edition

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 6 16:49:45 PST 2019

The PayNews Monthly - November 2019 Edition
Updates

  *   SEIU Retro COLA to July 1 - Per the SEIU Bargaining agreement, current active classified and temp classified employees are owed retro pay back to July 1st due to the bargained COLA.  The new COLA rates and job records have been updated in Banner and we have pulled all paid hours from July through October for anyone owed a retro payment.

We will be providing a spreadsheet with July earn codes paid for hourly employees only, by Timesheet Org, based on our Department Contact list. We do not need hours for salaried employees. We need you to fill in the column labeled 'July 1 - Mid-July Cutoff' with the hours from July 1 through your mid-July cutoff for only the earn codes included on your spreadsheet.

If there are employees listed on your spreadsheet who are no longer employed by the University, please make a note on the spreadsheet and submit a PRF to terminate.

We need the completed spreadsheet emailed to Mindy Schmidling by 5 pm on Wednesday, November 13th since we need to pay the employees with their November checks.

If you have any questions contact Mindy Schmidling at 6-2960, mindy at uoregon.edu<mailto:mindy at uoregon.edu>

  *   **NEW ** Longevity Premium - Effective November 1st, all Classified employees who have served at least five (5) years at the University of Oregon without a break in service and who have been at the top of their salary range for at least twelve (12) months after their last salary eligibility date shall receive a longevity premium in the amount of 2.5% added to their base pay.  Classified employees may become ineligible for this differential when changes in position or classification occur.  The new earn code for the longevity premium is DLP.  The longevity premium earn code will be added to the job of each Classified employee who qualifies.  No data entry is needed.  Banner will handle the calculations and the entry into the timesheet.  Departments will not see the DLP earn code until after the time entry window closes and the calculation process has been run.  Earn code DLP will calculate on overtime hours so please continue to use the OTM earn code to pay overtime.  The Classified/Temp Roster in PWIPAYR will be modified to include a column for the longevity premium.
Example:  Hourly Classified Paid $20/hour
PHAHOUR before Banner calculates time entry -
REG        152
LTV         22

PHAHOUR after Banner calculates time entry - ($20.00 X 2.5% = $.50)
REG        152         @ $20.00              $3,040.00
LTV         22           @ $20.00              $ 440.00
DLP        174         @ $.50                  $    87.00

Questions about eligibility should be sent to hrops at uoregon.edu<mailto:hrops at uoregon.edu>.  Questions about time entry should be sent to Mindy Schmidling at mindy at uoregon.edu<mailto:mindy at uoregon.edu>.

  *   Graduate Employee Late Pay - Information will be going out shortly to departments who had Graduate Employees who received their first Fall paycheck after September 30th.  The university will reimburse those GE's for any bank fees related to bounced rent or utility checks or fees associated with late rent due to late pay.  Please be on the lookout for that email since it is time sensitive.  Contact Shelby Cooper at shelbyc at uoregon.edu<mailto:shelbyc at uoregon.edu> if you have any questions or concerns.

  *   Payroll Services Website - The Payroll staff have been working on improving the Payroll website<https://ba.uoregon.edu/payroll>.  Please be patient while we continue to restructure and update the information that is there.  If you find that something is missing or unclear, please send your comments to either Ben Kane at bkane at uoregon.edu<mailto:bkane at uoregon.edu> or Shelby Cooper at shelbyc at uoregon.edu<mailto:shelbyc at uoregon.edu>.
Reminders

  *   New Federal Form W-4 for 2020 - Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will release a new version of the federal Form W-4 (Employee Withholding Certificate) for 2020.  While the final version is not yet available, employees can review the latest draft form and instructions<https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/fw4--dft.pdf> to familiarize themselves with upcoming changes.  Additional information will be shared as we receive more details from the IRS.

  *   Electronic Approvals (EPAF) - The Payroll Office would like departments to utilize Banners electronic approvals system (EPAF) for all their labor distribution changes.  This is a quick way to update Banner without using a paper form.  If your department is still using PRF's or SEF's to make labor distribution changes, please attend one of the EPAF Training courses offered by the Payroll Office to gain the necessary access.
Upcoming Events

  *   Dates
     *   November Document Deadline                                 November 8th
     *   November EPAF Submission Deadline                     November 13th
     *   November Time Entry Window                                  November 18th - 20th
     *   November Payday                                                           November 27th

  *   Trainings (Register in MyTrack<https://hr.uoregon.edu/mytrack-talent-management-system-0>)
     *   HRIS Overview                                                                  December 3rd, 1:30-3:30pm
     *   HRIS Time Entry                                                                December 4th, 1:30-4:30pm
     *   I-9 Employment Eligibility Workshop                       December 4th, 10:00am-12:00pm
     *   HRIS Payroll Redistributions                                        December 5th, 10:00-11:30am
     *   HRIS Electronic Approval Forms (EPAF)                   December 19th, 1:30-3:00pm

Thank you,
The Payroll Office