payroll: Federal Government Shutdown is Over - Social Security Administration Resumed Operations

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 17 11:18:45 PDT 2013

The Social Security Administration has now resumed their normal operations after the Federal Government Shutdown is lifted.  On October 3, 2013, the Payroll Office made an exception in processing hire paperwork without the Social Security card or SSN Receipt as support documentation for List C of the Form I-9 for the foreign national and US citizen/resident employees.

Employees who have not been able to apply for a Social Security card must now go to the Social Security Office in Eugene.  Your assistance is needed to inform these employees to apply for a Social Security card immediately.  In this way, employees will be in compliance with the USCIS, Form I-9 rule.  Failure to obtain proper documents will result in interruption of employment with the university.

As a reminder, the Social Security receipt is only valid for 90 days if used as support documentation for List C of the Form I-9.  Departments and employees are expected to provide a copy of the Social Security card to the Payroll Office when it is received from the Social Security Administration.  It is also important for our office to have the Social Security number for W-2, tax reporting by the end of the calendar year.

Below are some resources that you will find helpful:

*        International Students and Social Security Numbers, http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf

*        Replace My Social Security card, http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251

*        Eugene Social Security Office, http://socialsecurityhop.com/offices/social-security-office-eugene-or-97404-oregon

Please contact the payroll staff if you have any questions or concerns related to the Social Security card or SSN Receipt as it pertains to the Form I-9.

Kenny Ly
Assistant Payroll Manager
Kly at uoregon.edu<mailto:Kly at uoregon.edu>
541 346-1107