[OLAC-credits] Background info on translations

John Hostage hostage at law.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 6 07:42:32 PST 2014

Hi Kelley,

Thank you for this.  It was helpful.

One issue I've run into with German credits is sometimes the credit will be something like "Bühne", the basic meaning of which is "stage."  I believe in a film context it is applied to a set designer or something similar.  Or the credit might be "Buch", which is literally "book", but in a film it is presumably short for "Drehbuch" (screenplay).  So part of the issue is that they are using words for what the person is responsible for rather than an actual role.  Another part is that unless you are active in the film industry in more than one country, it's hard to know what roles these terms actually refer to and what people are doing.

John