[OLAC-credits] "Scenario" and words that have different meanings in different languages

Kelley McGrath kelleym at uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 6 07:23:57 PST 2014

Has anyone run across examples of words that have different meanings in different languages with the roles? People have sometimes noted that it is impossible to be sure in the context of an atomic credit what the language of a role is. For example, "dirigido por" could be Spanish or Portuguese. However, this will still work out for our purposes since they both mean "directed by."

I have recently encountered the credit "scenario" in a context where there credit might or might not be in English. In French, scénario means screenplay. In English, scenario sounds to me more like a "story by" credit. For American films, I'm guessing the WGA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGA_screenwriting_credit_system#Examples) would make you say "story by," but these are foreign films. What does scenario mean to you in English?

Kelley