[OLAC-credits] Definitions for film-related roles

Kelley McGrath kelleym at uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 24 20:38:56 PDT 2014

I was asked today if I knew whether and how a producer and a production manager are different. I wasn't really familiar with what a production manager does so I looked at a few sites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_crew#Production This page has a warning at the top that it might not reflect a "worldwide view" and it does seem biased towards contemporary Hollywood film

http://www.pasadena.edu/files/syllabi/lmjang_20857.pdf (describes a "unit production manager" at the bottom of page 1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/filmnetwork/filmmaking/guide/production/cast-and-crew

http://www.imdb.com/glossary/P

The two things in this context seem to be clearly different. A producer is a high-level position and has more to do with the money. A production manager is someone on the ground managing day-to-day stuff.

Does anyone have any sense of to what degree this distinction carries through to non-U.S. films or non-Hollywood films? Or the degree to which terminology for roles varies from country to country or language to language? From the credits that people are annotating, it does seem like ways of describing common roles can vary by language.

Do you have any go-to sources that you like for film, TV or video terminology?

Kelley