di: [CAUTION EXTERNAL] well-designed reading

Carolyn Sharette csharette at apamail.org
Mon Oct 16 09:48:55 PDT 2023

The red flags have yet to all be vetted, however the paragraph from Shep below describes it pretty well.  Requiring “core programs” to have the “full-range” sounds familiar.  I believe it is largely a semantics issue with “core” being defined improperly to mean “complete for all learners” instead of "what MOST students need to learn to read fluently”.

We interpret good curriculum as #2, and then we add other support programs for students as needed for the ones who need more/different due to unique learner characteristics.  All students receive Reading Mastery, Heggerty and Linda-Mood Bell LIPS.  Then we use Take Flight and Wilson for our students with dyslexia characteristics needing more support.

It’s unbelievable their logic would conclude that we have to dump Reading Mastery for something they believe “has it all”.  Surface features vs. depth of design seems to be at issue here.  We will continue to fight and I believe the results will prevail.

Carolyn Sharette
Executive Director
Cell: 801-808-3933
csharette at apamail.org <mailto:csharette at apamail.org>

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) alone. It may contain privileged and confidential information that is legally protected.  If you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this email and delete the material from your computer.