di: well-designed reading

Kozloff, Martin kozloffm at uncw.edu
Fri Oct 6 10:55:10 PDT 2023

In places where whole language has finally been dropped without  comment from districts (which has happened around here), it is because of several events.

>> The crisis. Jillions of articles at all levels report the crisis of moronitude in public schools. "Jeez, Louise, these kids can't read. What the heck!"

>> The challenge. Enough national-level articles (research and commentary) are published whose message is that "we finally know what effective instruction requires"---even if this has been known for decades.

>> Unmasking the enemy. "Bombshell" reports go after those responsible, for their dopey ideas and their fortunes--- stupidity combined with avarice. "And the kids paid for this!"

For ex, the Funky Goodmans (an editor of theirs said they were always surrounded by a noxious bouquet of stench---they hadn't heard of Whole Deodorant.) and Lucy C.

>> The Fear. Administrators start to think that they'd better change things or the public may come for them with hot pitch, feathers, and wooden rails.

>> Publishers advertise that "We are not those guys. Our materials are consistent with what we know works."

>>  The Answer. Administators (having no idea what well-designed instruction looks like) buy the materials that are best advertised. Some such materials seem to work well enough.

What happens when they pick the wrong materials, as they thrash around for a solution? That's when a higher power (state legislature, parents suing under the 14 amendment equal protection clause) has to respond swifty, before ineffective programs become "Our way."   "No, you need to try again, or you'll get sued in federal court."

Just my thoughts. As always, correct, and delivered with humility and a side order of schmaltz.

Kozloff out

Check the manuscript if you feel like it. Book 2 of a series of six. Integrates DI, ABA, TAGTeach, and  Precision Teaching, in a wholesome package of logically okay (I'm not Zig of blessed memory!) formats. Comes with a pink tote bag.