di: Grammar program for ESL student

Christopher Duss duss.christopher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 18:15:54 PDT 2022

Dear List,

I have a 10y old boy taking weekly speaking lessons from me for the last 4
years. He started at a decent pace through lesson 30 of Language for
Learning, then slowed down to where we are now, taking 3-5 one hour lesson
periods to finish a single program lesson (currently Lesson 60).
Understandably, he has tired of this and wants to simply have “free
conversation” about topics of interest. I have told the parent the fastest
way to continue learning is to go ahead with the program and use the
practice materials I provide which cover the hardest parts of each lesson,
but she insists we drop the text and spend half the lesson on free
speaking, half on reading. I am using Funnix for that - currently on
program lesson 10 due to listening comprehension issues, but he can read
and write closer to lesson 30.

In addition, she wants him to do some grammar. I have told her we have
everything we need for his current level with Funnix, but she is persisting
with requests for a dedicated grammar program. Does anyone have a
recommendation that fits with his level of speaking and reading/writing? Or
ideas on how to better communicate the optimal path for learning given his
1 hour per week allowance? It could also be a learning app or book they do
at home.

Thank you!
Chris