di: Looking for curriculum advice for my first grade grandson

Ronda Wallace wallace.rondaopal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:18:24 PDT 2020

Greetings,

I am teaching my two grandsons, ages 7 and 5 (first grade and pre-k). My 5 year old grandson is in RM fast cycle, lesson 121 (the Sid stories... IMHO the most difficult and frustrating in the entire book!). Because of the coronavirus we are actually doing two reading lessons and two math lessons a day for the months of March and April. At this rate we will probably be able to get into RMIII before the end of the year.  (Providing the silent “e” doesn’t ‘break his brain’ (his common lament the last couple of days!)   My aim is to have two strong readers because I had difficulties when I was young.

My 1st grade grandson will finish Reading Mastery  Plus4 tomorrow. I have the materials for RM Plus 5 and plan to began that grade level immediately.  Owen actually reads without error at 195wpm. I think he could pretty easily skip to RM6, but I don’t want him to miss the content in RM5.

So here’s the question: at this rate Owen will be finished with RM6 sometime in third grade. What then?  Do you have any suggestions for curriculum after the Reading Mastery series?  I would like to keep teaching them, as long as I am able (and they are willing!😂)

Thank you for any suggestions you can give. I feel so comfortable with Direct Instruction. I would love to continue using this method if there is anything out there.

Best,
Ronda Wallace

Sent from my iPhone