di: Time to promote 100 Easy Lessons?

Kerry Hempenstall kerry.hempenstall at rmit.edu.au
Fri Mar 20 14:50:36 PDT 2020

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Yes, I agree Joe. In the RMIT Clinic we used to use our Masters and Doctoral students to train and monitor parents wanting to teach their children to read. Fidelity to the program is important, and perhaps these notes may be useful to anyone intending to do something similar.

Notes on using Engelmann, Haddox, and Bruners's Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons: Techniques encouraging successful implementation

Read the introduction carefully - believe it or not most questions are answered there.

(A) Use the Reading Mastery and/or Corrective Reading Placement Tests to ensure the correct program is chosen.

(B) Ensure

(i) You complete 5 lessons/week of the program

(ii) You stick to the program as written. Develop a contract/reward system if there are problems of student reluctance.

(C) Use Infant Cursive chart for the sounds writing exercises. Keep a progress folder of this work. A comparison of the initial attempts to write the alphabet and at the end-of-program adds to the evaluation data.

(D) Ensure blending is continuous - each sound is held for an equal period of time (except for stop-sounds like /t/); Ensure the difference between voiced and unvoiced consonants (e.g., /p/ not /puh/) is understood and practiced (Never let students stop between the sounds when blending or sounding out words. Stopping between the sounds disrupts the smooth "flow" of the sounds in the word; it also causes the students to add an "uh" to the end of many sounds. All this will make the "sounding out" strategy almost useless as the students will have trouble saying the word the fast way given what they’re sounding out. As always, prevention should precede correction. The first step in preventing this is for you to never stop between the sounds. The second preventive step is to hold all continuous sounds for 2-3 seconds when presenting any sounding out task. The third preventive step is to make sure that the students continue to say each sound as long as you are touching under the sound; make your looping signal very clear and do not let the students lead or get ahead of you. To correct stopping between the sounds, try this:

1. Give the students a non-teaching/teaching example Non-teaching example: "you’re saying/doing this . . ." or "you’re saying/doing it this way . . .". Teaching example: "I want you to say/do it this way . . .".

2. Then do a "model - test" procedure Model: "My turn, I can sound it out without stopping between the sounds". Test: "Your turn, sound it out without stopping between the sounds; remember to say each sound as long as I touch under it".

(E) Provide sheets (enclosed) for progressive lesson completion data. These will form part of your regular monitoring contact after training. Keep a record of frequent errors for discussion. Don’t forget the regular Mastery tests to ensure that progress is being maintained.

(F) Suggest child holds book (when feasible) - it can increase the child's commitment and sense of control.

(G) Tape record an early and a late lesson to provide pre- and post-program comparisons.  Also record your child's attempts at the Lesson 100 story in an early lesson. Compare it with the reading of the Lesson 100 story at the end of the program.

(H) It can be helpful if both parents can learn and deliver the lessons when possible. The shared responsibility enhances the likelihood of the program being completed.

(I) You may feel hesitant about your own ability to address the reading problem. Some discomfort is inevitable during presentation of first 20 lessons or so. Even trained teachers find it difficult at first. However, you will find that because the instructions vary little, you will become used to the scripts.

(J) If your school is aware that you are implementing the program, it may be useful to discuss it with the your child's teacher (a matter of etiquette).  Make it clear that the program is supporting the school's endeavours – and not intended as a criticism.

(K) You should have confidence in this program. There is much research support and a long period of successful use in the Clinic. If the school makes any critical comments do not become embroiled in a defence of what you are doing or in criticisms of school's program.

(L) Use additional reinforcers - visual progress charts, stars, points, etc. if the child is resistant to participating wholeheartedly.

(M) Some potential problem spots:

  *   Remember the instructions regarding sounding-out the story. "Period" is American for 'full stop'
  *   Remember that the sounds pronunciation needs to be carefully taught and monitored.
  *   Note the errors for i and I on p.17.
  *   Remember why the strange orthography is helpful in regularizing words.
  *   Practise those correction procedures.
  *   Remember the meaning of "Repeat until firm", and be aware of when a segment needs to be repeated.

100 Lessons program: Parent Data Sheet

Free          Lesson        Date     Lesson                         Comments (e.g. difficulties, common reading

Reading   Number                     Time                                                    errors, breakthroughs)

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

15

16

17

18

19

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

32

33

34

35

36

37

38

39

40

41

42

43

44

45

46

47

48

49

50

Small reward every 10th lesson e.g. KitKat. Tape record some reading on 1st, 30th, 60th and last lesson.

100 Lessons program: Parent Data Sheet

Free          Lesson     Date     Lesson                Comments (e.g. difficulties, common reading

Reading   Number                     Time                                                    errors, breakthroughs)

51

52

53

54

55

56

57

58

59

60

61

62

63

64

65

66

67

68

69

70

71

72

73

74

75

76

77

78

79

80

81

82

83

84

85

86

87

88

89

90

91

92

93

94

95

96

97

98

99

100

Small reward every 10th lesson e.g. KitKat. Tape record some reading on 1st, 30th, 60th and last lesson.

Employing the Mastery Tests from the Reading Mastery program as a progress check in 100 Lessons

The Reading Mastery program is a beginning reading program designed for school groups. It is the program from which the parent-based "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" is derived. Because the lesson sequence is similar it is possible to use the Mastery Tests from the Reading Mastery program to check that the student is progressing appropriately. By following the above guide it is less likely that any student’s failure to make continuous progress can go undetected. This is most important, as the design of the program requires the mastery of earlier lessons as a pre-requisite for success in subsequent lessons. Success on the Mastery Tests enables confidence in one's presentation skills, correction skills, lesson pacing, and adequacy of the use of the "Repeat until firm" direction. Failure of a Mastery Test implies the need to reteach segments of the program before moving on. This careful progressive evaluation is especially helpful in ensuring success for at-risk students.

Using the Reading Mastery 1 Program Mastery Tests to augment the

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons program

Dr Kerry Hempenstall, RMIT.

100 Lessons                                                                                                  Reading Mastery test

lesson number                                 Sound studied                                  found in lesson number

4

m - a - s

8 & 15

6

20

11

t - r

25

13

31

15

35

18

th

40

20

50

22

45

24

55

26

60

28

65

30

75

32

79

34

g - I

70

36

sh

85

38

60

40

65

42

95

44

100

47

105

49

110

51

ch

115

53

120

55

125

57

ing

125

59

130

61

135

64

er

135 & 140

66

oo

145

68

150

70

wh

155

73

150 & 155

74

qu & u

155 & 160

75

x & z

145 & 160

100 Lessons program Tutor Monitoring Form Date:

Parent displays evidence of having read and practised the script ahead of time.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Comments

Parent commences the lesson quickly (without unnecessary discussion or rehearsal), and maintains an undistracted task focus.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent follows the script closely and does all of the prescribed exercises.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent ensures child can see the book. For example, not blocking the words with parent’s own hand.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent correctly pronounces the sounds, without adding Uh sounds

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent uses the finger slide signal smoothly, and synchronises sounding-out with finger movement

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent ensures student responses are in tempo with the slide

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent detects and responds with a correction to mispronunciations.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent ensures that the student holds each sound for the appropriate duration in “Say the words slowly”.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent ensures continuous blends are achieved. The student does not stop between the sounds

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

In the “Child touches sounds” exercises, parent ensures that voice and finger movement are in synchrony

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

not applicable

Parent attends to the “Repeat until firm” instruction. If the child makes a weak response, the parent does the task again, making sure he is FIRM before going on.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

not applicable

Parent moves at a brisk, but not too fast, pace.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent employs the designated “Error Correction” procedure.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent corrects every error immediately, not waiting for the child to self-correct.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent performs the corrections quickly and with good humour - without any signs of frustration.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

 not applicable

Parent ensures child remains alert. For example, by praising desirable behavior. "You’re answering quickly, I like that”.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

 not applicable

Parent makes use of delayed tests to check-on and to firm-up items that were weak earlier. "Let's do that ch sound again. It’s hard. But we can do it."

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

not applicable

Parent responds if a rule is broken during the lesson, reminding the child. "I need to hear you say the word clearly with your hand away from your mouth. Now let’s do those words again." And later on, "I like the way you're saying the word so clearly."

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

not applicable

Parent good humouredly challenges the child. For example, "I know you really can do it. I bet you can do this next group of words without even one mistake."

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

not applicable

Parent uses praise when the child follows the rules, and when the child performs especially well. For example, when he is sitting properly, does a difficult exercise with no mistakes, responds well to error correction, tries harder than during the last exercise, etc.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Parent puts enthusiasm into the presentation.

4. consistently well done

3. mostly well done

2. uneven

1. mostly not happening

Introductory notes for parents using "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"

The beginning lessons appear very simple; however, they address precisely the basic skills that have not been mastered thus far, and that have held back progress in the past. These early lessons are necessary if the student is to cope with the more obviously reading-related content appearing in later exercises. Teaching is provided for every skill required by the child when performing even the simplest reading exercises. Exercises progress slowly, and changes are relatively small; as a result the exercises maintain a level of ease for the students.

All the instructions and questions you need to present will be written into the program for you (in red type). All the tasks you need to do are in black type in brackets. The correct student responses are in inverted commas. Additionally, the target letter or word is indicated in bold type. The most important thing is to follow the program to the letter, without changing anything. The program was rewritten numerous times based on the findings of trials in homes and schools, so you may be assured that the wording supplied is both sufficiently instructive to meet the needs of most students in understanding the task, but not overly wordy to distract them or waste time.

Before you start teaching...

You should:

1 Learn the sounds that are introduced in the program, particularly the first ten. Ensure that you are precise about the difference between a letter sound and a letter name.

2. Practise your stop sounds (t, d, p, b, k etc) so that you don’t add an uh sound. Think of how the letter sounds when it appears at the end of a word. Hold your throat to notice the difference between voiced and unvoiced sounds.

3. Practise the correction strategies for the various program tasks.

4. Ensure that you are firm on demonstrating the blending tasks with continuous blends (mmmaaannn not mmm-aaa-nnn). Be alert to ensure that your child’s blends are continuous too.

5. Practise presenting the first couple of lessons in the program. Before teaching a lesson to your child, you will need a couple of hours to prepare for the sessions, so that you are really familiar with the program. It is difficult to monitor responses if you need to concentrate heavily on the script. Most people indicate that it takes about 20 lessons before they feel comfortable with the formats, so do not let initial discomfort dissuade you from continuing. Practise!

6. Devise a teaching schedule - lessons usually once a day, preferably the same time each day. No fewer than 5 lessons per week should be considered, as the children we are concerned about typically struggle to remember new information over the untaught days. The end result is reteaching lessons, to the annoyance of all concerned. If desired it is possible to do more than 5 lessons per week.

Problem spots:

(1) Ensure instructions regarding sounding-out the story on the first reading are followed.

(2) Note that “period” is American for “full stop”.

(3) Note the errors for i and I on p.17.

(4) Understand the meaning of “Repeat until firm”, and think of examples of when a segment needs to be repeated.

(5) Regularly check the manual for answers to problems arising during the program.

(6) Don’t despair! Remember that even trained teachers find the program feels most unfamiliar for about 20 lessons.

Praise

Some reinforcing statements are scripted for you; however, you may (for some children) need to provide your own reinforcement for other good things that a student does. To be reinforcing, you need to do the following:

1. Praise students for working hard, even if their performance is not perfect- ‘I like the way you are really working hard!'; ‘You try so hard, I can see that you really want to learn to read well!’

2. When your child performs well, praise him: "Billy, that's fantastic. You're so a clever to remember the sounds for ‘b’ and ‘d’!"

3. If your child does well on a task that he found difficult on earlier occasions, show surprise-. "Johnny, I thought you'd have a lot more trouble with that! There's no tricking you, is there? Fantastic!"

4. Give the student the chance to show off the skills he has mastered: "Wait until dad/mum sees what you've learnt! They'll never believe it!"

About phonics

Explicit (or synthetic) phonics:

Involves moving from the smallest part to the whole. Students first learn letters and their sounds and then build and re-combine them into syllables and words.

Initial reading practice consists only of highly decodable text until the most common letter/sound correspondences have been learned.

Explicit phonics is also known as: code-emphasis, alphabetic phonics, basic phonemic phonics.

>From the Latin explicare– to unroll, disentangle, explain

________________________________

Implicit (or analytic) phonics:

Involves moving from the whole sentence or word to the smallest parts. The student must make a "best guess" as to what the word is by its shape, beginning and ending letters, any context clues from the rest of the sentence, or any accompanying pictures.

Approximately 300 words a year are taught as whole words.

Implicit phonics is also known as reading for meaning, meaning emphasis, analytic phonics, intrinsic phonics, gradual phonics, systematic contextualized phonics, embedded phonics, and integrated language arts.

If a child is regularly bringing home lists of words to memorise - s/he is in an implicit phonics program.

>From Latin implicare – to entangle, entwine

________________________________

A beginning reading program emphasising explicit phonics – letter sound relationships and blending are taught initially.

Below from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.

A systematic explicit program begins at the beginning and builds. The skills that are needed for more complicated tasks are first taught in their simplest form. Once the child has mastered these skills, the program presents more complicated variations.

The following are four important points about an effective sequence for teaching reading:

1. The beginning exercises are simple and do not resemble later exercises (just as beginning piano exercises do not look much like advanced ones).

2. The program provides teaching for every single skill that the child is expected to use when performing even the simplest reading exercises.

3. The exercises change form slowly, and the changes are relatively small, so that the exercises are always relatively easy for the child.

4. At every step, the program provides for very clear and unambiguous communications with the child.

2.Using Distar Library Series for extra practice

Stories (for extra practice) from the Distar Library Series with corresponding lesson number from “Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons”. Dr Kerry Hempenstall, RMIT. These books are available on CD from the RMIT Clinic.

Book                                                Page Numbers                                 Lesson Numbers

Book A                                            1 + 2                                                 35

                                                         3 + 4                                                 36

                                                         5 + 6                                                 37

                                                         7 + 8                                                 38

                                                         10 + 11                                             39

                                                         12, 13, 14                                         41

Book B                                            1 - 5                                                 42

                                                         6 - 10                                               43

                                                         11 - 15                                             44

                                                         16 - 18                                             45

                                                         19 - 23                                             46

Book C                                            1 - 5                                                 47

                                                         6 - 9                                                 48

                                                         10 - 13                                             49

                                                         14 - 17                                             50

                                                         18 - 19                                             51

                                                         21 - 23                                             52

Book D                                            1 - 4                                                 53

                                                         5 - 8                                                 54

                                                         9 - 13                                               55

                                                         14 - 17                                             56

                                                         18 - 20                                             57

                                                         21 - 23                                             58

Book E                                            1 - 4                                                 59

                                                         5 - 8                                                 60

                                                         9 - 12                                               61

                                                         13 - 15                                             62

                                                         16 - 18                                             63

                                                         19 - 21                                             64

                                                         22 - 24                                             65

                                                         25 - 31                                             66

Book F                                             1 - 4                                                 67

                                                         5 - 7                                                 68

                                                         8 - 11                                               69

                                                         12 - 13                                             70

                                                         14 - 15                                             71

                                                         16 - 18                                             72

                                                         19 - 21                                             73

                                                         22 - 23                                             74

The lesson numbers are not exact matches; however, all books should be completed by Lesson 74 as the DISTAR orthography is discontinued at that lesson

Regards,

Kerry

Dr Kerry Hempenstall,

Senior Industry Fellow,