di: Language For Learning Home Practice Videos

Christopher Duss duss.christopher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 04:39:13 PST 2019

Dear List,

I mentioned in a previous exchange about Hattie's work on various
influences that I was working on something related to video review of
lessons, which ranked 13 out of 252 influences in his 2018 list
<https://visible-learning.org/hattie-ranking-influences-effect-sizes-learning-achievement/>.
I teach beginning English to 4-10 year olds in Tokyo using Language For
Learning primarily but also DISE and DI reading programs for older/more
advanced speakers. A problem I have is most students have only one 30
minute lesson per week. One of my lessons is two hours, only once or twice
a month. As you can imagine progress is slow, and we spend a lot of time
reviewing the previous lesson. To address the frequency issue I have
started making two types of home practice videos. The first type is of me
simply going through the lesson with the book ("live lesson approach"). The
second applies a method I use to teach song lyrics to the same age group -
by showing a picture with each word or phrase ("picture lyrics approach").
Here are examples of the two approaches:

Live lesson approach:
Lesson 18 https://youtu.be/AkoRYA4lLFM
Lesson 24 https://youtu.be/rNzAaPx16RU

Picture lyrics approach:
Lesson 25 https://youtu.be/bDNDhnAD0kQ
Lesson 26 https://youtu.be/FEWq4qdkp_0

I think the second type is more fun and helps generalize the language by
presenting it in different ways from the presentation book. The first may
be more thorough as it provides cued opportunities to practice without the
teacher. Students could watch the picture lyrics videos without sound to do
that type of practice, but maybe it would be better to include it directly
in the video. It takes a lot more time to produce the picture lyrics type
video, so I will go back to making live lesson videos. If anyone is
interested in collaborating on the picture lyrics approach please let me
know. Many hands could make light work of it.

Has anyone else developed supplementary video materials for DI programs?
Any thoughts/feedback on these attempts are welcome. And if these would be
helpful to anyone I would be happy to share as I continue work on them.

Best regards,
Chris