di: Charles Arthur also responds to the Most Comprehensive Meta-Analysis article.

Charles Arthur carthur at teleport.com
Thu Jan 11 17:03:57 PST 2018

I’m also very anxious to see the full article on the meta-analysis of DI curricula.  and PRESTO.  here it is.  Thanks Jerry

I’m particularly interested seeing if it touches on a vital concern of mine in teaching phonemic awareness and decoding in Reading Mastery K.  As most readers on this listserve know, teaching these two kinds of skills hinges on one technique:  Say the sound without stopping, with and without letters.  I’ve just posted a short review on this on my website:  arthurreadingworkshop.com. (on the Seminar page) It’s entitled, WHERE  RESEARCH HAS FAILED IN THE STUDY OF TEACHING BEGINNING PHONEMIC AWARENESS AND DECODING.   http://arthurreadingworkshop.com/seminar/ <http://arthurreadingworkshop.com/seminar/>
The vast amount of research on this topic has affirmed the importance of phonemic awareness in teaching beginning reading, something Zig anticipated before the wave of research studies started.  The failure has been in researching how phonemic awareness, followed up with decoding, can be most effectively and efficiently taught, with Zig’s technique of Say the sounds without Stopping.  I can only find two published research studies on this. (Weisberg 1989, 1993, copies available on request)

All the rest of the studies on this topic support saying the sounds and decoding with pauses.  One could almost claim that the DI,  RM K method is not research based.    In all of this Meta-Analysis, why has research on this vital piece of teaching beginning reading been omitted?  Or has Jean and Tim found some other studies? Under these circumstances, how can it be considered research based?

Please read what I’ve posted, and let me know what you think.

Charles Arthur
Early Child Literacy Consultant
carthur at teleport.com
The most effective reading programs  carefully structure instruction around mastery of small learning increments that leads to student proficiency of advanced applications and higher student self-esteem.
971-544-7341

 <https://www.facebook.com/Arthur-Reading-Workshop-311701916000900/>
 <https://www.facebook.com/Arthur-Reading-Workshop-311701916000900/>