di: What should my plan be for my two grandsons?

Martha Gabler emgabler at verizon.net
Thu Feb 15 12:42:31 PST 2018

Hi Wallace,

Thank you for sharing your interesting questions. You are doing a brilliant job with your grandsons! I'm incredibly impressed that 5 year old Owen is in RM3, and that Lawrence, at age 3 (!), is rocketing along in RM1. It sounds as though they are both doing great with reading.

You are right to be concerned about Owen's handwriting. Handwriting is rarely taught properly in school nowadays, and dis-fluent handwriting causes kids to dislike writing and to do poorly in math (they have to think so much about writing the numbers that they can't focus on the calculations). Perhaps you could consider spending some time on helping the boys develop fluent handwriting skills? There are many programs, especially in the Precision Teaching community, to refer to. Just to get started, the Handwriting Without Tears program has excellent materials and even wooden letters broken down into components that would be fun for Lawrence. Once they know how to print, there is an excellent DI program for cursive script; if they know cursive, they will be way ahead of the pack.

It is wonderful to hear how fluent your grandsons are in reading. Congratulations to you all!

Sincerely,
Martha Gabler