di: Language for Learning for Japanese 3-10 Year Olds

Eisele, Mary mary.eisele at mheducation.com
Mon Oct 30 09:22:34 PDT 2017

Chris – See my answers below:

Mary

From: di-bounces at lists.uoregon.edu [mailto:di-bounces at lists.uoregon.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher Duss
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:13 AM
To: DI at lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: di: Language for Learning for Japanese 3-10 Year Olds

Dear DI Mailing List,

This is my first e-mail to the list, so to introduce myself, my name is Chris, and I teach ESL and music at Dream Kids Network in Tokyo.

I am planning to use Language for Learning to teach spoken English to my students. I have also experimented with DISE but it appears that Language for Learning is more appropriate for my students’ ages. Can people familiar with the program comment on:

1) Any experience using it with Asian learners in general and Japanese learners specifically? I found this video of a teacher using it with, I think, Chinese kids (https://youtu.be/qQ6S29y4Yh8<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FqQ6S29y4Yh8&data=01%7C01%7Cmary.eisele%40mheducation.com%7C54ec6c13964d46fd753e08d51fafac72%7Cf919b1efc0c347358fca0928ec39d8d5%7C0&sdata=ynS3QGHwIxm88808PxgCBI7hj%2FfzJrtOrb9Kwf1SyCk%3D&reserved=0>), but nothing with Japanese kids yet.

2) Using previous editions? The 1998 edition appears to be available (new) for about half of the most recent 2008 edition’s new price. My budget is closer to that, but if there are significant improvements between the editions I will push my school to help more. The 1998 edition is low on stock and will not be reprinted. The 2008 edition is the newest edition and will continue to be sold.
Some of the changes for the 2008 edition included updated art/images, assessments, modifications to some exercises, new workbook exercises/artwork, professional learning content.

3) Since there were 10 years between the 1998 and 2008 releases, I am wondering if there are plans for a new edition soon? Currently, there are no plans for a new edition of Language for Learning.

Thanks,
Chris
The information contained in this message may be confidential and/or constitute a privileged attorney-client document.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify McGraw-Hill Education immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.