di: Language for Learning for Japanese 3-10 Year Olds

Christopher Duss duss.christopher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 05:13:20 PDT 2017

Dear DI Mailing List,

This is my first e-mail to the list, so to introduce myself, my name is Chris, and I teach ESL and music at Dream Kids Network in Tokyo.

I am planning to use Language for Learning to teach spoken English to my students. I have also experimented with DISE but it appears that Language for Learning is more appropriate for my students’ ages. Can people familiar with the program comment on:

1) Any experience using it with Asian learners in general and Japanese learners specifically? I found this video of a teacher using it with, I think, Chinese kids (https://youtu.be/qQ6S29y4Yh8), but nothing with Japanese kids yet.

2) Using previous editions? The 1998 edition appears to be available (new) for about half of the most recent 2008 edition’s new price. My budget is closer to that, but if there are significant improvements between the editions I will push my school to help more.

3) Since there were 10 years between the 1998 and 2008 releases, I am wondering if there are plans for a new edition soon?

Thanks,
Chris