di: Fwd: B.C.

monique at onestoplearning.co.uk monique at onestoplearning.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 07:17:20 PST 2017

Hi Deborah

I thought I’d responded to this but can’t see my message. This sounds very much like what we call dyspraxia in the UK or Developmental co-ordination disorder (DCD) which affects fine/gross motor skills, sometimes speech. Many children also struggle with processing, organisation etc.

I’d suggest that he needs a lot more support from the OT; exercises to improve motor skills but also gadgets such as non-slip mats for dinner plates etc.

>From the Dyspraxia Foundation UK website https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/about-dyspraxia/

What is dyspraxia?

Dyspraxia, a form of developmental coordination disorder (DCD) is a common disorder affecting fine and/or gross motor coordination in children and adults. It may also affect speech. DCD is a lifelong condition, formally recognised by international organisations including the World Health Organisation. DCD is distinct from other motor disorders such as cerebral palsy and stroke, and occurs across the range of intellectual abilities. Individuals may vary in how their difficulties present: these may change over time depending on environmental demands and life experiences.

An individual’s coordination difficulties may affect participation and functioning of everyday life skills in education, work and employment.

Children may present with difficulties with self-care, writing, typing, riding a bike and play as well as other educational and recreational activities. In adulthood many of these difficulties will continue, as well as learning new skills at home, in education and work, such as driving a car and DIY.

There may be a range of co-occurring difficulties which can also have serious negative impacts on daily life. These include social and emotional difficulties as well as problems with time management, planning and personal organisation, and these may also affect an adult’s education or employment experiences.

Many people with DCD also experience difficulties with memory, perception and processing. While DCD is often regarded as an umbrella term to cover motor coordination difficulties, dyspraxia refers to those people who have additional problems planning, organising and carrying out movements in the right order in everyday situations. Dyspraxia can also affect articulation and speech, perception and thought.

Best wishes

Monique