di: submission to DI listserve on coments by Seidenberg on visual causes of dyslexia

Charles Arthur carthur at teleport.com
Wed Nov 1 14:30:45 PDT 2017

I see that we now need to have our comments on the listserve screened.  Here are my comments on the topic of visual causes of dyslexia, the subject that was submitted by Kerry, a few issues back.  Hopefully they add to the discussion.

Please post:
I’ve been doing some work on the subject of dyslexia through an informal seminar, which is on the State of Oregon approved list for training in dyslexia.  I found Seidenberg’s new book, Language at the Speed of Sight, very useful.  Because he, and many other researchers and theorists, have seen phonological information as an essential element of skilled reading,  dyslexia has its source in this domain as well.  I’ve attached a few of his quotes on the subject.
Hopefully they add to the discussion and may be useful to members of the di listserve.
 “We read with our eyes, but the starting point for reading is speech.”  First sentence, Chapter 2, Visible Language

“For reading scientists the evidence that the phonological pathway is used in reading and especially important in beginning reading is about as close to conclusive as research on complex human behavior can get. The opposing view, that using phonology is an inefficient strategy used by poor readers, is deeply embedded in educational theory and practice.”  P. 124

 “Most educators have assumed that reading is purely visual and that phonology is something that poor readers fall back on…..  For reading researchers, the issue was settled in the late twentieth century by several types of findings that converged on the same conclusion: phonological information is an essential element of skilled reading in every language and writing system; impairments in the use of this information are typical of poor readers and dyslexics….. the use of the phonological pathway is an essential component of skilled reading.” P. 126

Seidenberg concludes that readers rely on phonology to read words because “they have to, given the deep integration of orthography and phonology in writing systems, in behavior, and in the brain.”

He lists the major reasons that support this view.
“ Evidence Concerning Phonology and Reading”.      P. 266
·      	 Dependence of written code on speech

·       Writing systems evolved to represent sound and meaning

·       Role of phonological phonemic awareness in beginning reading impact on reading skill

·       Positive impact of explicit phonics instruction on reading outcomes

·       Impaired representation of phonology associated with poor reading, reading disability; behavior studies and computational models showing causal connection

·       Remediation of phonological impairments associated with increases in reading skill

·       Dyslexia observed in children with phonological impairments due to atypical language development (e.g., speech sound disorder)

·       Neural integration of orthographic and phonological codes.

·       Automatic activation of phonology in skilled silent reading.

·       Use of phonology in resolving lexical, syntactic, and semantic ambiguities in sentences.

	Use of phonology in maintaining information while sentence continues; role in resolving long-distance dependencies between parts

	Impact of phonological deficits on reading in brain-injured patients.

Charles Arthur
Early Child Literacy Consultant
Founder of Arthur Academy Charter Schools
carthur at teleport.com  971-544-6341
The most effect reading programs  carefully structure instruction around mastery of small learning increments that leads to student proficiency of advanced applications and higher student self-esteem.  K.  Engelmann.