[Cas-allemps] Encouraging students to complete the Student Experience Survey

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Mon Mar 4 15:43:47 PST 2024

Dear Faculty and Graduate Instructors,

The winter Student Experience Survey will be open from Wednesday, March 6 at 8am until Monday March 18 at 6am.

I strongly encourage all instructors to provide students 10-15 minutes of time in the classroom during week 10 to fill out the SES for their course.

Low response rates to Student Experience Survey (SES) have become a substantial issue in recent years. Robust participation is important to help us evaluate teaching fairly and to ensure we have high-quality instruction for our students. And, as instructors, we know that student feedback can be constructive and help us improve our teaching. In-class administration of the SES makes a significant difference to student participation.

The Teaching Engagement Program (TEP) has a Faculty Guide to Student Experience Surveys<https://teaching.uoregon.edu/student-experience-surveys> to make this process as smooth as possible, including a PowerPoint slide with directions for students. (See the section titled “Promote the Survey”.)  They also have an in-class protocol<https://provost.uoregon.edu/files/in-class_protocol_e-ses_11-22-19.pdf> to follow that mimics what instructors used to do when we handed out paper copy surveys at the end of each course.

In some cases, such as online courses, the simple classroom-time strategy may not be possible: the TEP page provides other strategies.

Two last items: I want to make sure that you know to view your survey results through the Instructor SES Dashboard<https://teaching.uoregon.edu/ses-dashboard>: this interface groups responses longitudinally by category. And note that you can add two questions<https://teaching.uoregon.edu/how-create-and-edit-instructor-added-questions> to the survey to ensure it’s asking questions that are important to you.

Thank you in advance for providing time in the class for your students to fill out the SES. I sincerely appreciate your commitment to our students and to providing them an outstanding education.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris J. Poulsen
Tykeson Dean of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Earth Sciences
College of Arts and Sciences | University of Oregon
1030 E. 13th Avenue | Eugene, OR | 97403
Pronouns: he/his​