[Cas-allemps] CAS Interdisciplinary Research Talk: Monday, December 2nd

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 25 09:42:28 PST 2019

Slight update to fix a typo in text below.

Dear colleagues,

I am delighted to invite you to the next in the CAS Interdisciplinary Research Talks series:

[cid:image001.png at 01D5A374.A5897300]<https://rl.uoregon.edu/profile/dgarvin/>

During last year’s discussions about a potential reorganization of the College of Arts and Sciences (in the CAS Task Force), we heard from faculty members across all CAS divisions who expressed the desire for more opportunities for interdisciplinary dialogue and potential collaborations. They wanted support for interdisciplinary teaching and research and also said they’d simply like informal opportunities to get to know faculty in other disciplines.

In response, among other things, CAS is organizing a series of monthly Interdisciplinary Research Talks (CAS IR Talks) for the current academic year. The CAS IR Talks will be held in the Knight Library Browsing Room and will be 35-40 minutes in length, followed by a Q&A. We have asked faculty presenters to speak to a general audience of faculty from across the College.

Diana uses food as a lens to research the history of everyday life across Fascist Italy and Italian East Africa (modern-day Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia). "The Bean in the Machine" focuses on coffee specifically.  By untangling the interwar trade of beans and bodies between Italy, Brazil, and East Africa, this project brings to light an untold story of caffeinated imperial aggression and resistance. ​Fellowships from Oxford and Cornell University, the American Academy in Rome, the Wolfsonian-FIU Museum and Research Center, the CLIR Mellon Foundation, and the Julia Child Foundation, as well as grants from FLAS, AAUW, NWSA, and AFS, have supported Diana's research at over thirty international archives, libraries, and museums.

I hope you will come out to hear Diana and enjoy the discussion on December 2 at 3:30 in the Browsing Room. Please support our CAS IR Talks and help us ignite interdisciplinary conversations. Light refreshments will be served.

Best regards,
Bruce

Bruce Blonigen
Tykeson Dean