[Cas-allemps] Tykeson Inscriptions

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:21:23 PDT 2018

Dear CAS faculty and Staff,

As you’re aware if you’ve walked down 13th Street between Chapman and Johnson, Tykeson Hall, the new home for CAS and a building that will offer integrated academic and career advising to UO students, is quickly rising.  We expect Tykeson to open for classes in Winter 2019, and we’re now working on the details of the building: interiors, furniture, finishing details, artwork, etc.

We will soon be choosing quotations to be incorporated into Tykeson’s design and become part of the building’s message to students, faculty, and staff.  We invite you to submit ideas for building inscriptions, and we are seeking passages from a diverse array of cultures, regions, and time periods.  We will have to choose only two or three in the end, and we hope you will help make it a difficult choice by sending us words of wisdom, illumination, guidance, and good sense from your favorite authors.

We’ve been guided thus far in our planning by a stanza of a Robert Frost poem, “Two Tramps in Mud Time” (https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/two-tramps-in-mud-time/), a poem that weighs the need to work with the love of work and concludes that we should choose work that speaks to both the necessity and pleasure of the jobs we do, that is, to both vocation and avocation. Three years ago we took Frost’s stanza for our working motto:

My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.

We welcome your suggestions for quotations that might become inscriptions about education and careers in Tykeson Hall.  Our teaching and advising in Tykeson will emphasize

1.      The importance of advising and mentoring

2.      The interconnection between academics and professional pursuits

3.      The value of a liberal arts education.

To read about the Tykeson vision and see the building plans, please go to the Tykeson Hall website (https://tykeson.uoregon.edu).

Please submit brief quotations with attributions to Jules Jones (julesj at uoregon.edu<mailto:julesj at uoregon.edu>) by Friday, July 27, 2018.

Thank you for your ideas.

CAS Dean’s Office
Andrew, Bruce, Carol, Hal, Karen, and Philip