[Cas-allemps] CALL for Nominees for Tykeson Hall Working Group

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 3 09:47:54 PDT 2017

To:       CAS Faculty and Staff

From:   W. Andrew Marcus, Tykeson Dean of Arts & Sciences
            Bruce Blonigen, Dean for Faculty and Operations

Re:       CALL for Nominees for Tykeson Hall Working Group

In fall 2019, the College of Arts and Sciences will open the new Tykeson Hall (https://tykeson.uoregon.edu).  The vision for Tykeson is for a building that will not only serve as the "home" for the College, but one that will provide an integrated and seamless academic and career advising experience for students that informs them about the many and varied professional paths that lead from a liberal arts education.  This vision has resonated strongly with many constituents and immediately garnered state and philanthropic support.  Now we have to develop tangible plans to implement that vision.

Some of that work has already occurred.  Over the past 18 months, we have consulted with a wide variety of users groups to inform professional teams who have developed plans for not only a beautiful building in the heart of campus, but also a truly active, collaborative, and welcoming space inside.  Besides classrooms, the main student-oriented spaces in the building will serve first-year writing and math courses and academic and career advising.

A remaining crucial task is to develop a plan for how faculty and staff will most effectively provide student services in the building, and how they will collaborate and work with related faculty and staff in departments and other units across campus.  The most ambitious task is to develop an integrated and seamless academic and advising experience for students - a critical need for our College.  There are a number of goals for developing an implementation plan for the advising functions in the building that we would like a Tykeson working group to examine:

1) Integration of existing academic and career advising services into a well-functioning and collaborative unit

2) Development of a professional advising team that will provide advising for majors in the College as much as is practically possible

3) How to engage and proactively advise students more intensively from the first day they step on campus until they graduate (and beyond?)

4) Ways to inform and market the value of liberal arts degrees for professional pursuits

We plan to form a working group of faculty and staff with diverse perspectives, and will also work with the UO Senate to identify potential members.  We would expect that the committee will be able to complete its work and provide recommendations to the CAS Dean no later than May 1, 2018.

To nominate someone for this working group, please email casdean at uoregon.edu<mailto:casdean at uoregon.edu> by Friday, October 13.