[Cas-allemps] Thinking About CAS: Bystander Intervention

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 19 16:21:03 PST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Following the election in November, our campus - and campuses across the nation - have seen an increase in inappropriate behavior aimed at people because of their physical appearance, the language they speak, the way they dress, and other (presumed) signifiers of national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation or sexuality, race, and ethnicity. The Dean's office is committed to helping our community be prepared to intervene in order to maintain a respectful campus-and also know what to do if intervention isn't safe. With those goals in mind, we recently devoted our most recent department heads and managers meetings to a bystander intervention information session.

On the eve of the Presidential inauguration, we offer a blog post from Associate Dean Carol Stabile that summarizes tips offered by our speakers during the bystander intervention session and provides a list of resources that can offer support to CAS faculty, staff, and students. I invite you to read her blog post here<http://cas.uoregon.edu/2017/01/on-being-responsive-members-of-our-community/>.

I also encourage you to consider visiting the EMU tomorrow to support students in their "95_Reset the Code" project  http://resetthecode.uoregon.edu/events<http://resetthecode.uoregon.edu>/ by signing their banner and pledging "to actively uphold our values of respect, inclusion and a commitment to stand up for each other."

Warm regards,
Andrew

W. Andrew Marcus
Tykeson Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
University of Oregon
541-346-3902
http://cas.uoregon.edu/