Inventory and Tagging UO Property

Business Affairs Office News bao-news at lists.uoregon.edu
Mon Mar 16 12:26:04 PDT 2020

Good afternoon,

Tagging, tracking, and inventorying University assets is a major undertaking. Worth $136 million in over 100 departments, our nearly 8,300 assets are located throughout the state of Oregon - including Portland and Charleston, around the country - from Alaska to the East Coast, and even around the world-from Italy to the bottom of the ocean.
Although the inventorying of assets is inherently intrusive, it is a requirement of both Federal and State governments and protects us all in the case of an audit, federal review, or loss. The University's assets are an important resource to our campus community and we all have to do our part to safeguard them. By properly tracking these resources, we demonstrate good stewardship to our stakeholders. To be successful, we need your assistance to identify new assets, track their movement, and perform inventories.
Identification
Generally we track asset acquisitions over $5,000 and all items on lease or loan to us. Unless you notify us, we will not know when you receive leased, gifted, or loaned items, or procure items through the UO Foundation. Once items have been added to the fixed asset system, we will contact you for tagging. During our visit to your department, we will also gather:

*         make

*         model

*         manufacturer

*         serial number

*         primary location

*         photo

*         additional information as needed

Tracking
The UO is a dynamic environment; assets are purchased, moved, and disposed as needs arise. Through collaboration, we can keep our fixed asset records up to date. To accomplish this, please notify us via an Asset Maintenance Form<https://pages.uoregon.edu/baoforms/bao_drupal_6/sites/ba.uoregon.edu/files/forms/amf.pdf>, a Property Disposition Request<https://forms.uoregon.edu/forms/list/Business%20Affairs> or an email when items are:

*         moved to a new location (ex. room/building)

*         transferred (ex. to another department or institution)

*         surplused or e-wasted

*         replaced by warranty or insurance

*         cannibalized

*         lost or stolen

*         intended for sale

*         intended for trade-in

Inventory

Each department's inventory will take place every other year (biennially). During the inventory we will view and identify all tracked assets by their tag. When we contact you to schedule your department's inventory, we will include an asset list. It is recommended that your department locate each item on the list prior to the inventory.

Inventory helps to:

*         Confirm location and responsible department

*         Account for proper depreciation

*         Ensure accurate records for insurance purposes, financial statements preparation, and the Facilities & Administration rate proposal

*         Promote appropriate stewardship of University assets

We appreciate your cooperation in protecting our resources and maintaining compliance.

If you have any questions, contact us.

BAO Property Control Department

Aly Roper, 6-3190, aroper at uoregon.edu<mailto:aroper at uoregon.edu>
Christina Spear, 6-0827, c<mailto:jamies at uoregon.edu>mspear at uoregon.edu