Banner will require two step login next month

Business Affairs Office News bao-news at lists.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 15 16:40:45 PDT 2019

Hi, folks,

The UO is introducing two-step login for IT systems, to fight identity theft and data breaches.  Banner is the next service to adopt two-step login.  How it works: you enter your username and password (the first step), and then there is a second step - you get prompted by a mobile app, or get a code from a pager-like device or a text message, or you get a call on your phone and press a button.

Starting November 20, you will need to use two-step login to access Banner.  You can choose your second "factor" starting tomorrow - the second "step" in the login process.  I've been using the Duo Push app on my phone for months, and it has worked well.

This is a preliminary head's up.  If you use Banner, you'll have to join the two-step parade by next month.  The UO central Information Services department will send out an e-mail tomorrow with links to explain more about the process and how to set up your second factor.

Michael Clark, UO Business Affairs Office Information Systems - 6-2030