[Andalusi Studies] Meaning and translation of Mudejar

Davila, Carl (cdavila) cdavila at brockport.edu
Sun Sep 25 03:38:51 PDT 2022

Dwight,

Per your questions:
Your opinion is obviously correct. Nobody willingly refers to him/herself using terminology that implies they are animals. Certainly not in their mother tongue!

I was unaware of this curious translation, and I have no direct evidence at hand for the original use(s) of this term in European sources.

And yes, it makes all the sense in the world to address this, going forward.

Be well,
CD

Dr. Carl Davila
Associate Professor of History
History Graduate Program Director
S.U.N.Y. College at Brockport
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY  14420
O: +1 585 395-5699<tel:+1%20585%20395-5699>
F: +1 585 395 2620<tel:+1%20585%20395%202620>

"Let us not be English, French or German any more.
Let's be European. No, not European, let's be men.
Let's be humanity. All we have to do is get rid of one
last piece of egocentricity - patriotism."

- Victor Hugo (d. 1885)