[Andalusi Studies] New Article: Arabic jinās is not pun, wortspiel, calembour or paronomasia!!

Hany Rashwan hrashwan7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 07:13:42 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues, I hope my message finds you all in good health.

I am happy to let you know about my new article titled: “Arabic jinās is
not pun, wortspiel, calembour or paronomasia: A post-Eurocentric
comparative approach to the conceptual untranslatability of literary terms
in Arabic and ancient Egyptian cultures,” in Rhetorica: A Journal of the
History of Rhetoric, 2020, vol. 38 (4): 335–370. I think you will be most
interested in reading the conclusion part. I hope you enjoy reading it as I
enjoyed writing it.

Abstract:
This article amplifies the call for a paradigm shift across a range of
comparative disciplines relevant to non-European cultures, that
decentralizes rhetorical concepts from European traditions in comprehending
non-European literary and philosophical practices. Such a post-Eurocentric
perspective is necessary to both generate a fair comparative module that
centralizes the emic (culture-specific) features of a language and to avoid
Eurocentric misrepresentation of the non-European culture under
consideration. This paper challenges the common academic position that
Eurocentric traditions are foundational to understanding ancient Egyptian
and Arabic literary systems. The article also considers the graphic nature
of the core hieroglyphic script in comparison with Arabic to refute the
modern obsession that concentrates on the verbal layers of the scripts and
neglects their visual literariness.

You can download the whole article from this link:
https://bham.academia.edu/HanyRashwan

All my very best wishes to you,
Hany

--

Best wishes,

Dr Hany Rashwan

Research Fellow at GlobalLIT Project

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/profiles/languages/rashwan-hany.aspx

School of Languages, Cultures, Art History and Music

University of Birmingham

Ph.D. in  Cultural, Literary and Postcolonial Studies (CCLPS)

Languages & Cultures Faculty

School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
University of London
SOAS, University of London, is a world-leading higher education institution
specializing in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. It has a
unique focus combining both disciplinary and regional expertise with
language scholarship. Founded in 1916, with its first students enrolled in
1917, the School will be celebrating its Centenary in 2016-17.