[Andalusi Studies] Arabism and democracy

Alejandro Garcia Sanjuan sanjuan at dhis2.uhu.es
Fri Aug 14 07:51:47 PDT 2020

Dear colleague, I've just shared some public information, I cannot see what kind of attack or mockery are you referring to. You should be a little more specific in your accusations, otherwise, it would seem that it bothers you that information is shared concerning academics holding high-ranking positions in far-right political organizations.

As you probably know, the denigration of al-Andalus has been going on for centuries in certain academic outlets as an expression of racist and Islamophobic ideas. One of the most usual arguments in this approach has been the denigration of the Berber dynasties, the savage 'African tribes' mentioned by Ramírez del Río. Maybe taking a look at my recent article 'Nubes de langosta africana. Prejuicios historiográficos sobre las dinastías beréberes (almorávides, almohades y meriníes)' [ https://revistas.ucm.es/index.php/ELEM/article/view/68638, | https://revistas.ucm.es/index.php/ELEM/article/view/68638, ] would be helpful for you.

By the way, Ramírez del Río makes reference to his academic position on his Twitter feed to justify his political opinions: https://twitter.com/joseramirezdel2/status/1271114378688040963. I don't see why, in that case, his social networks cannot be shared in academic forums.

On the other hand, and since you are apparently the mouthpiece for Ramírez del Río, I wonder whether you could explain to us what exactly the expression 'más salvaje e inhumano que cualquier tribu africana' means. I'm sure you will.

Cheers,
Alejandro