[Andalusi Studies] Arabism and democracy

Cristina de la Puente cristina.delapuente at cchs.csic.es
Fri Aug 14 07:07:53 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am writing in response to Alejandro García Sanjuán's  last message.
I thought this mailing list is academic and is intended to expose issues
related to Arabism and Andalusian studies. I don't see the relationship
between Arabic teaching and membership in a political party. In Spain,
since the 1978 Constitution, no one can be singled out for their political
or religious ideas. Pillorying colleagues for their ideology is typical of
totalitarian regimes and anti-democratic personalities. There are
university professors in parties like Podemos, Vox, and even Bildu, and as
long as those parties are legal, no one has the right to attack them for it
or make, as in this case, public derision.
I have nothing more to say, and I am not going to enter into any discussion
about what are the correct democratic behaviors, I have only tried to ask
for respect towards others, even more so when they are our colleagues.

Best wishes,

Cristina

--
Dra. Cristina de la Puente
Grupo de Investigación Judíos y Musulmanes en la trama social mediterránea

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>