[Andalusi Studies] Conil

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:47:33 PDT 2015

I should read my own texts! Sent Sovi the 14th century catalan manuscript has a recipe No.  LXVIII called: Qui parla con sa deu ffer salsa rosta a conills  pp 110-111, which we translators call:  "roast sauce for rabbits.”  Sent Sovi has a total of 9 recipes for conil, which are translated as rabbit: XXXIIII, LXVIII, XXVII, LXXVIII (see Medieval Spanish Chef blog titled “cucharon” published Oct 21, 2013), LXXX,  LXXXI,  LXXXII, LXXXVI and LXXXXI. This would lead one to believe that the word is Catalan.

In my blog titled almadrabas, published August 8, 2011, I mention a town in Southern Spain called, "Conil de la Frontera,” which translates “rabbits on the frontier.” This is located just off tunny fishing grounds between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, near Cadiz  As this town existed in the 15th century,  it looks like I am proved wrong as it is not French and does not seem to be Old Catalan but old Spanish in general as it is referred to as “conil” in both extremes of the peninsula.

Susan