[Andalusi Studies] Muwashshah in modern music

Alexander e Elinson aelinson at hunter.cuny.edu
Wed May 7 07:45:24 PDT 2014

Dear All,

In addition to Jean's suggestions, may I add Jonathan Shannon's "Performing al-Andalus, Remembering al-Andalus: Mediterranean Soundings from Mashriq to Maghrib" Journal of American Folklore 120 (477): 308-334. He also discusses the muwashshah in his book, Among the Jasmine Trees: Music and Modernity in Contemporary Syria. Wesleyan UP, 2009. I don't remember if he treats the muwashshah in particular, but you might look at Dwight Reynolds' "Musical 'Membrances of Medieval Muslim Spain" in Charting Memory: Recalling Medieval Spain, edited by Stacy Beckwith. Garland, 2000. pp. 155-68.

There is an active and interesting zajal culture in Morocco, but I do not know about its performance practices. For more on that, see Deborah Kapchan's "Zajal" in Mediterraneans 11 (Winter 1990-2000): 45-47

Great question.

Alex

Alexander Elinson
Associate Professor of Arabic
Director of Hunter College Summer Arabic
Department of Classical and Oriental Studies
Hunter West 1304
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY  10065
(212)772-5044<tel:%28212%29772-5044>
aelinson at hunter.cuny.edu<mailto:aelinson at hunter.cuny.edu>