travelnews: New Travel Accounts codes and DuckWeb

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 29 16:43:06 PDT 2017

To our UO Travel Coordinators -

As you may have heard, the Travel Office is in the process of implementing a new software service for travel expense and departmental PCard processing called Concur.  We are anticipating the rollout to happen sometime late fall 2017.

With the Banner 9 upgrade that the UO is currently undertaking, our homegrown Duckweb travel reimbursement form will cease to work.  That offered us two options: Either a complete, lengthy and expensive overhaul of the duckweb reimbursement program with the need to continually support it through UO IT.  Or an analysis of software as a service providers to find a fully supported, fully customizable expense solution with a mobile application, a top notch Duty of Care benefit, robust reporting features, and the ability to upload electronic receipts and electronic signatures.  After looking in depth at several companies, the review committee voted for Concur.

Beginning implementation has allowed us to review current processes, one of which was Travel account codes adopted from OUS.  Our survey results concluded that departments prefer account codes that will allow them to track expense categories, rather than by generic destination.

If you prepare travel reimbursements, how will that affect you?

In the future, Concur will be able to identify and correctly code the expense type.  In these few final months of Duckweb use, you will need to divide the expenses between the appropriate account codes which will immediately start compiling reportable data.  The benefits of changing account codes at the beginning of the fiscal year outweighed the negative of needing to add an additional accounting line or two to a travel reimbursement.

FAQs

Q:  Do the account codes work for non-employee/guest travel?