travelnews: TRAVEL TIP: Reimbursing travel expenses for Non Resident Aliens

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 3 09:25:52 PST 2014

Good Morning Travel Coordinators:

On the Duckweb travel reimbursement form, the third entry says      Non Resident Alien     No?       Yes?   (attach I-94 for non-employees)
Here is what you need to know about reimbursing travel expenses for a non resident alien:

When reimbursing travel expenses for a non employee who is a Non Resident Alien and travel is within or to/from US , additional documentation is required.  Please check yes in the non-resident alien box in the Travel info section of the duckweb travel reimbursement form.

Once they arrive, please obtain a copy of their I-94 form showing their visa type.  Visitors receive an I-94 (small white card stapled into their passports) when they enter the United States.  This card is removed when they exit the US.  This is all you need if they are in a J, B-1 or W-B and combinations WB/WT and B1/B2 status.

Citizens from a visa waiver country, arriving to the US are required to have an approved travel authorization (ESTA<http://www.esta.us/visa_waiver_countries.html>) and do not receive an I-94, but one of their passport pages is stamped.  Make a copy of their passport page identifying the individual and the page with the stamp showing when they entered the US and the visa status.
For a list of visa waiver countries see http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#citizen

Visitors who are not in a work authorized visa status can still be paid when they have a B-2 or W-T status (visitor in a tourist status), if they qualify for the conditions in the International Visitor Declaration form.  http://ba.uoregon.edu/sites/ba/files/forms/ivd.pdf

Visitors from Canada or Mexico who enter the US without a stamp are presumed to be in a "B" status. To document this they can file an international visitor's declaration form and copy of their passport identifying them and country of residence.

For more detailed information see http://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/international-visitor-and-student-payments

If your traveler travels from a foreign country to another foreign country, no additional documentation is needed.

To set up a non-resident alien visitor in banner see http://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/vendor-setup#Travel_Set-ups

If you have any questions please contact Conny x 6-0812

Thank you,

Laurie Jacoby, CTC
Travel Manager
Business Affairs Office